Set up PayPal for collecting subscription payments
In this article:
Collecting payments for subscriptions products
If you have a Business PayPal, want to start selling subscription products on your site, and have already familiarised yourself with how to create these in your Sellfy account, you're ready for the next step: Setting up your PayPal to receive payments for your subscription products.
Receiving payments for subscription products is different from receiving regular payments. You'll need to take some extra steps to configure your PayPal account to allow for recurring payments.
The process of updating your PayPal account to receive recurring payments involves these three steps:
- Configure your PayPal account
- Connect PayPal and Sellfy
- Set up IPN notifications
Important! You must complete all 3 steps to enable recurring payment collection for your subscription products.
Configure your PayPal account
To set up your PayPal account for recurring payments, follow these steps:
- Visit PayPal developer portal
- Click Log in to Dashboard in the top right corner
- Enter your PayPal details to log in
- In the sidebar menu, click My Apps & Credentials
- Switch to Live > click Create App
- Enter an App name
- Click Create App
After you successfully created the app, you will be provided with a Client ID and Secret on the next page (see below).
Setting up the correct payment preferences
To ensure that payments are processed smoothly, please make sure to set your PayPal business account to accept payments automatically.
- Log in to your PayPal account
- Navigate to Settings > Seller Tools >
- Navigate to Payment receiving preferences > Update
- Select the options you prefer (the settings will save automatically)
Connect PayPal and Sellfy
Note: It's absolutely essential to copy-paste the Client ID and Secret correctly from your PayPal developer portal to your Sellfy account. Make sure you check if you've included all the symbols and deleted any extra spaces before and after you've copy-pasted the content.
Follow the steps below to align your PayPal and Sellfy for recurring payments.
- Log into your Sellfy account
- Navigate to Store Settings → Payment settings
- Scroll down to Settings for subscription products section
- Copy your Client ID and Secret Key from the PayPal developers portal
- Paste your Client ID and Secret Key into Sellfy
- Click Save
Set up IPN notifications
Important! Setting up IPN notifications on Paypal is essential to enable recurring payments to be received in your account.
- Log into your PayPal business account
- Navigate to Account settings
- Go to Website payments > Instant payment notifications
- Click Update
- Click Choose IPN Setting to specify and activate listener's URL
- In the Notification URL bar, specify this URL: https://sellfy.com/billing/subscriptions/webhooks/paypal/ for your listener
- Click Receive messages (Enabled)
- Click Save