How does upselling work?
In this article:
What is upselling?
Upselling is a great tool to leverage your store revenue and customer experience. It allows you to offer customers exclusive deals or related products while they are shopping in your store. The upsell will work both on your store page as well as on individual product pages. You can read more about this feature on our blog.
Important! This feature is available with the Business and Premium packages as well as the discontinued Pro and Pro Plus plan. It's not available in the Sell Downloads app, with the Starter plan or other discontinued plans.
How can I use upselling?
To choose items to use as an upsell, try to think of complementary products that may be purchased together. The idea of the upsell is to offer a customer already purchasing an item an exclusive offer on another. Here are some examples:
- Buy One, Get One (BOGO) - Offering an item for free after the purchase of another item is very similar to having a sale of 50% off on your store. But, using the upsell allows you to control which item is paid for, which is free and allow the sale only on specific items!
- T-shirt & Hat - If your customer is purchasing one of your awesome shirts, there's a good chance that they looked at your other items for sale. Offer them a discount on your hats, or other accessories. Maybe even a discount on a more expensive item, like a sweatshirt.
- Recipe Book & Dessert Book - If you have a book of recipes available on main courses and meal prep, why not offer your customer the sweet treat of a discount on your dessert book too? They'd add the main recipe book to their cart and instantly see a special on that dessert book they were eyeing.
- Cardio workout & Legs workout - If you're selling exercise books or routines that are separated into focused areas, there is a big chance that your customer is looking to work on more than just one of these areas. Offer a discount on another workout after they add one to their cart.
- Beachy preset & Fall preset - If you're selling presets, you likely have individual presets for sale as well as your collections. But, for the customer that's not brave enough to get the whole collection, offer them a discount to try not one but two of your beautiful presets!
If you don't have any or many items that seem like a perfect pairing for upselling, no worries! You can try offering a very different product and see if the discount will tempt your customer into trying it out.
How to set up the upselling feature
Note: To set up the Upselling feature, you first need to enable the Shopping Cart feature in your store.
Once you've enabled the shopping cart for your site, you're ready to set up the Upselling feature for your store. Here's how:
- Log in to your Sellfy account
- Navigate to Marketing > Upselling
- Click Add new upsell
- Enter a name for the deal (so it's easier to keep track of it)
- Select which product(s) your customer has to buy to get access to the exclusive deal. For the customer, the upsell pop-up window will be displayed when they add any one of these products to the Shopping Cart
- Choose the product which will be offered as the exclusive deal. It will be displayed in the upsell pop-up.
- Enter the discount amount and expiration date of this deal. You can also set the discount to 100% to upsell a product for free.
- Type in a clear and concise message to be displayed in the upsell pop-up window. The message can be up to 140 signs long, and we suggest keeping it even shorter.
Here are some examples to get you started:
"Special Christmas offer 50% off Commercial Licence!"
"24 hours left to get THIS e-book for free!"
"Very special offer just for you! 50% off!"
- Click Save to activate the offer
What does the upselling feature look like?
When a customer is visiting your store adding a product to their shopping cart that you've linked to the upsell feature, the upsell pop-up window is displayed offering the exclusive deal you attached to the product.
They can either add it to their cart along with the initial product they chose or decline the offer. If the customer adds the offered product, it is will be added to the cart.
If for any reason, the customer removes the initially chosen product from the cart, the discount on the upsold product is removed. It means the discount is active only if the customer purchases a regular product from your store. See the video below: