Resolving errors with PayPal
In this article:
If you’re experiencing issues setting up your PayPal account with Sellfy for payment collection, make sure that:
- Your PayPal account is verified and you have a valid credit card associated with the PayPal account. If you have not confirmed your details with PayPal, log into your PayPal account and verify your information, or contact PayPal directly.
- Your active PayPal account is linked to your Sellfy account (if you've recently changed your PayPal email, you need to update your PayPal email address in your Sellfy account, too). To update your PayPal email address for receiving payments from customers, go to Store settings → Payment settings.
- The country where you're located allows PayPal transactions for both selling and buying.
- Your PayPal account is set up to receive payments in different currencies. (For example: if your PayPal account is set to operate in USD, but you wish to sell your products in a different currency, you'll need to enable the relevant currencies in your PayPal account.)
Common PayPal error messages at checkout
Note: if you're the buyer of a product and receiving PayPal error messages during the checkout process, this article may not be helpful to you. PayPal errors can be resolved by the product seller only. Please write to the product seller using the Contact link on their store page to let them know about these payment issues.
You are able to resolve most errors by yourself following the action steps we've provided or by contacting PayPal directly. If you are not able to resolve errors on your own (or by contacting PayPal), you can connect with us via [email protected].
The below error messages are examples of possible issues you can encounter when first setting up your PayPal account with your Sellfy account.
- Account [email protected] is restricted OR Account not found. Unilateral receiver not allowed in chained payment is restricted.
Please check that your PayPal email address is correct in your Sellfy settings , try using another PayPal account (by changing the PayPal email address in Payment Settings) OR advise your customers to make the payment using Stripe, if possible.
- The primary receiver is based in a country that isn't enabled to send payments using a balance.
This error message appears when you're located in a country where PayPal does not support payments.
- Account [email protected] isn't confirmed by PayPal.
To solve this, you need to log into your PayPal account and confirm the information you have provided. If you can't figure out what's missing, write directly to PayPal for guidance.
- The receiver email@example.com does not accept payments in this Currency.
Head to the next section for instructions on how to edit your currency settings in PayPal.
- Internal error
This is a temporary PayPal payment error. Unfortunately, there is nothing you or we can do to resolve this issue as this error happens because of some technical problems at PayPal. They typically get resolved in a few hours.
- Your payment can't be completed. Please return to the participating website and try again.
To solve this problem, please follow the steps below:
- Log into your PayPal Account
- Click Profile
- Click More Options
- Select My Selling Tools
- Click Block Payments
- Under the Payment Receiving Preferences, find the Block payments from users who section
- Uncheck the Initiate payments from the Pay Anyone subtab of the Send Money tab option
- Click Save
If the problem persists, it is because the credit card your customer is using is associated with an existing Paypal account, and the transaction will always fail.
How to edit PayPal currency settings
You can sell your products only in the same currency as your PayPal account is set up to receive. However, your customers may be tryingbuying your products with a different currency (based on their location).
If you want to enable clients to purchase products using currencies that differ to the primary currency in your PayPal account, please follow the instructions below:
- Log in to your PayPal account
- In the top bar menu, click Wallet
- From the Payment methods drop-down menu, click PayPal Balance
- Click Add a currency
- Select the currencies you want to add from the list