How to sell subscription products on Sellfy?
What are subscription products?
The subscription model allows you to sell a series of products with recurring payments (for example, annual licenses or products with regular/periodic content updates).
It's a great way to boost customer loyalty and increase your revenue. If selling subscriptions is new to you, here we've listed some seriously convincing pros, plus, some ideas for your future subscription products.
How does it work on Sellfy?
With our toolset, you can set the subscription payments to daily/weekly/monthly/annual intervals. This means you'll need to update the product file in the same intervals.
So, for example, when a customer buys your monthly subscription, they will receive the new product file once a month, and they will be billed once a month as well. The same goes for the other intervals.
The billing cycle for each subscription will be based on the purchase date and time.
So, for example, if the buyer purchased your subscription on September 9, and your subscription interval is set to month, the next charge will occur on October 9.
Buyer download links will have a 5 download attempt limit (same as for regular purchases) and will be automatically reset with each new billing cycle (or, in other words, when the new product edition is released).
Adding new product files
Important! Product releases (new content) can't be stored ahead of time. You will need to upload the new product file for each interval separately. Whenever you update the product file, it updates all product links.
You can manually update your subscription product to include new content for each interval (weekly, monthly or annually). First, you select the relevant subscription in your Sellfy account → Products → Subscriptions, then update the product by uploading the new file.
You can keep your customers up-to-date about each new release with the Sellfy Email Marketing tool.
To do so, select the Product Update campaign from the dropdown menu and create your Email Marketing campaign from there.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to send out the email about the new subscription release:
- Go to Marketing → Email marketing
- Click the Send new email button
- In the Campaign type drop-down list, select Product Update
- Select the subscription product you've updated
- The recipient list is set to automatically include only the buyers of the selected product
- Enter email subject
- Enter email content
- Click on the Add download button checkbox below the email content editor to make sure your buyers receive the updated download link
- Finally, click Send emails (you can also send out a test email to yourself first)
How can I start selling subscriptions?
First, you need to make sure your payment options are set up correctly.
- To collect subscription payments from customers paying with PayPal, complete these steps to configure your PayPal account correctly.
- To collect subscription payments from customers paying with a card through Stripe, use the Stripe Connect function in your Payment Settings.
Once you've configured your payment options according to the instructions, you can
- Create a new subscription product in the Add new product sub-section
- View and edit the created subscription products in the Products → Subscriptions sub-section
How can I keep track of my subscriptions?
What happens if I change the subscription at some point?
Can I change an existing product into a subscription?
No, currently it's not possible to transform existing products into subscriptions. You'll need to create entirely new subscriptions for that.
Can I set the subscription price to Pay What You Want?
The Pay-what-you-want pricing is not available for subscription products.
How can my customers manage their subscription?
Your customer can cancel their subscription from their product download page. Or if your customer has paid with PayPal, they can also cancel their subscription from within their PayPal account.
If your customer has a Buyer's account on Sellfy, they can also cancel their subscription within their Sellfy account. You can direct your customers here for assistance.
How can I cancel a subscription for my customer?
If your customer contacts you because they would like to cancel their subscription with but are not sure how to cancel themselves, you can cancel it for them.
To cancel a subscription for one of your customers, please follow the instructions below:
- Log into your Sellfy account
- Navigate to Products → Subscription
- Identify the relevant subscription via the Buyer Email column
- Click the subscription
- Click Cancel in the top right corner