In this article:
What's email marketing?
Email marketing is a powerful tool that allows you to notify your buyers and subscribers about new product launches, special deals, product file updates and more. With this feature, you can send custom emails with links and images to your selected audience. You can target specific product buyers or send emails to all buyers and subscribers.
Note: email marketing is available in the Pro and Pro Plus plans, as well as the Basic plan (discontinued). Email marketing is not available in Legacy accounts and in the Sell Downloads app on Wix.com.
Email marketing and GDPR
Note: your mailing list must comply with GDPR, so you should not send emails to customers who didn't opt into receiving news from you. At the checkout, your buyers are able to choose whether they want to receive future email communications from you. If they didn't opt into receiving your newsletters, they won't be included in your email marketing list on Sellfy, even if they bought a product.
Here's where your customers will be able to click to opt in to receiving news and offers from you:
How to collect newsletter subscribers
You can collect newsletter subscribers if you enable the Newsletter subscription form on your store page.
To enable it,
- Log in to your Dashboard
- Navigate to Store settings → General settings
- Turn on the Toggle switch next to Newsletter subscription form
- Click Save
Your customers will see the 'Subscribe to newsletter' box at the bottom of your store page, as shown below:
Email campaign templates
You can choose between 4 customizable email templates:
- Product Launch - let your fans know you've launched a new product after you've uploaded it.
- Product Discount - let your fans know you're offering discounts.
- Product Update - update your buyers about changes to existing products they've bought. This is useful if, for example, you've uploaded an updated version of a product file.
- Custom message - make the email anything you want.
- Buyers - these are buyers who opted in to receive emails from you at the checkout. Due to GDPR, you can only send emails to buyers who checked the opt-in box.
- Subscribers - these are your fans who haven't bought a product but they have entered their email in the 'Subscribe to my newsletter' block on your store.
- Buyers and subscribers - these are all buyers and subscribers combined.
- Specific product buyers - you can select those who bought specific products from you.
Marketing email customization
Make your emails engaging with the rich text editor, which allows you to:
- add images
- add clickable links
- edit HTML code
- add a horizontal line
- present text in bullet points
How to send a test email
Before you send a bunch of emails to your buyers or subscribers, you can test it by sending an email to yourself first. The test email will be sent to your account email address.
To send yourself a test email,
- Log in to your Dashboard
- Navigate to Marketing → Email marketing
- Create the email
- Click Send test email
It may take a few moments for the email to arrive. If it doesn't arrive, check if your account email address is correct and look into your spam folder.
Email campaign status
- Delivered - it is normal for this number to not be 100% due to email bounces, incorrect or fake recipient email addresses and unsubscribing.
- Open rate - it's the number of recipients who opened the email. The open rate will depend on whether the email is delivered to the main inbox or social/promotions/spam folders. Customers may not be checking the other folders, which can make the open rate lower.
- Click rate - it's the number of recipients who clicked on links in your email content.
Exporting email addresses
Important! in compliance with GDPR, you must respect your customers' wish to not receive emails from you. Before you send an email campaign based on this exported list, make sure to filter out the customer emails that have 'No' in the column that says 'Consent to receive newsletters' in the exported .csv spreadsheet.
To export your customer email addresses,
- Log in to your Sellfy account
- In your sidebar menu, navigate to Orders → Export
- Select your preferred date range in the top bar
- Click Request report
- Once the report is generated, you can find it in your Export history below
- Click Download to save the report to your computer or laptop
Importing email addresses
At the moment, it's not possible to import email addresses into your Sellfy mailing list from external lists.
However, you can export email addresses from your Sellfy mailing list. Read more in the section above.
Integrating 3rd party email marketing
You can set up an integration with other email marketing services with the help of Zapier. We currently support integrations with:
- Mad Mimi