Are my products safe from piracy?
In this article:
What does Sellfy do to keep my files secure?
Sellfy rarely receives reports from sellers about piracy. However, selling your creations on the internet will make you a bit susceptible to have your work stolen.
This is how we help protect your products from piracy as much as possible:
- All your products files are hosted on a secure cloud server
- Sellfy generates a unique download link for each purchase
- Each link is limited to 5 download attempts
- You have the ability to restrict downloads for individual orders
- All records of download attempts are kept for your reference
- You can view buyers information (IP address, etc.) and download attempts in the Orders Section
Note: Most buyers purchase the products just for themselves and are not willing to share something they paid for themselves. We're also continuously monitoring our sellers for resold products.
Can customers share my products with others?
It is technically possible for your customers to share the download link with others. Unfortunately, selling your work online will always involve some risk of your product being shared with others.
The download attempts for each product file is automatically limited to 5 for each purchase. We allow for 5 download attempts because:
- A customer might want to download files to different devices.
- A customer damages or loses the device they had saved the file on and need to re-download it.
- A customer simply needs several attempts to download the entire file due to their internet connection or other factors.
Note: If a buyer requests additional downloads for their purchase, we have put security measures in place to prevent third-party access.
To prevent third party access to the download link:
- A customer can request additional download links only when using the same email and IP address
- To enable additional downloads, the buyer needs to verify their email address through the email link
Security tool available for PDF files
Feature: PDF file stamping
Sellfy offers a great security tool available only for .pdf files. PDF stamping has proven to be a successful method to help prevent piracy. It literally stamps the buyer's email address at the bottom of each page of the document. It discourages buyers from sharing your product elsewhere online because their credentials are then made available for everyone to see. Read more about it here.
Why piracy may not be as bad as it seems
For one, you get more exposure! Yes, we know it's not the most appealing point, but check out the " How Ebook Theft is the Best Thing Since Pumpkin Spice Latte" article on our blog for more info on that (applies to most digital file categories, not only ebooks).
Even if your work has been stolen for resale, you're the trustworthy source. This means that you are the author and publisher of your products, buyers will know you're distributing the real product and not a scam. Most people would rather pay more for what they know is legitimate, rather than less for a fake.